Monday, June 15, 2015

Empowering Your Inner Goddess Weekend Retreat


Something that I've found important as a full-time student and at times full-time worker is to find a balance and to set aside time for self-care. This summer I'm taking 5 classes. One is a full summer class, three are 8 week courses during the first half of the summer, and there is one other that is the second half of the summer. I am working anywhere from 10-20 hours a week in addition to coursework. Also, this seems to be the summer for weddings. I think between Matt and myself we have 6 or 7 weddings, so the summer is very busy!

Self-care is important for everyone to engage in. It's different for everyone and there's no limit to what you can do. It does have to be beneficial for the individual involved and usually involves some kind of relaxation. This past weekend I did some self-care of my own. My best friend's mom is involved in the healing arts, and her and three of her friends in similar fields put together an "Empowering Your Inner Goddess Retreat". It. Was. Amazing. The retreat was an all-day Saturday retreat that took place at "Angel's Landing."

The retreat started with a group of about 15 women sitting in a big circle. We started by stating our intentions for the day; who we are, why we decided to be there, where we are from, and a little something extra about ourselves. We then drew a card from a deck that was passed around by one of the group leaders, with a message intended for us. The group started with many of us not knowing each other, or knowing a couple others in the group. Carol and the other "Goddess Gals" are involved in the healing arts, and by that I mean, Reiki, mediumship, massage therapy, angel readings, etc. Throughout the day the goal was all about empowerment and bonding with other likeminded women. The group started off a little unsure of what to expect, and unfamiliar with each other, but throughout the day we formed friendships and all became really close.

Throughout the day we discussed a variety of topics. We wrote letters to ourselves that we will receive in a years time where we wrote down where we are at in life, one word to describe ourselves, what we want to see in ourselves in a years time, and three people we are close with and the relationships we have with them. We discussed mindful eating and discussed organic vs. conventional food/GMOs. We learned about angel readings and some of us learned how to give angel readings with an angel card deck we were given (these were something I've known about and had since I was 12), and how to belly dance (again, empowering your inner goddess and embracing your sensuality). We created a finger labyrinth (if you are unfamiliar with that, take a second to look it up. Very ancient and very cool). We took a spiritual journey which involved meditating and envisioning our own versions of a story that was told by Carol, followed by time for us to journal. We ended the evening by drawing a final card from a deck created by Rita Loyd with a message for us to follow by.

At the beginning of the day when I drew my first card there were two cards stuck together and so I ended up with two: Be fair with yourself and Trust yourself. At the end of the day Accept Yourself was the card that I received. With all of the stress of balancing school and work over the last 6 months, it was a good reminder and a relaxing day over all that really just helped me regain my center of balance, regroup, and regain my focus on my goals. From December-March I was balancing working 35-40 hours per week in addition to attending school full time. For spring break, me and Matt ventured out west to San Diego and spent a week relaxing along the coast and spending much needed quality time together. April and May were a little more slowed down for me, I was working 16-25 hours a week at my youth counselor job, and school wasn't too hectic so it seemed like smooth sailing. Then in May I resigned from that job and started a waitressing job as summer classes started up. Trust me when I tell you that those cards sent me a much needed message. The retreat really was the re-center that I need. It was also a realization that I don't always need to work myself to the brink of exhaustion before I step back and decide to take a break. Hopefully I can remember this message in my daily life.

Self-care is something that is important for everyone, but is extremely stressed to therapists and employees of the human sciences/services fields. Self-care can mean different things for different people. The main goal of self-care is to take personal times to pursue hobbies, relaxation, spend quality time with loved ones, etc. Self-care doesn't have to be expensive, like a spa day or anything (although it is a nice splurge once in a while), and can be as simple as sitting outside journaling or sipping a coffee, tea, or lemon water. Matt likes going on walks, playing basketball, or talking to do his own self-care. I enjoy writing, watching videos, yoga, and spending time with loved ones to regain my life balance and relax.

What are some of the ways that you practice self care?

Here is the link to Carol's website if you are interested in learning about her healing arts practice or are interested in booking a massage or reading with her. She is seriously phenomenal. There are upcoming Goddess Retreats that will soon be available in coming months on her website, so be watching for those if you are nearby and are interested in attending. It is absolutely worth making the reservation for and taking a Saturday off for yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment