Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Favorites - Mandalas in Art Therapy

Colored Mandalas
https://www.pinterest.com/barbaranmartins/mandalas/
The more and more that I begin to look into the different realms of focus in psychological therapy the more and more I see the appearance of mandalas. They've become more popular in pop culture and I notice that many people around me have created mandalas of their own and gotten them tattooed.

Mandalas are a very positive and beautiful thing, especially when created by the individual. The mandala is meant to represent life, the universe, the individual, literally everything. The best part of mandalas? They are whole. They are a reflection of their creator, and they are absolutely beautiful.
Their use in Art Therapy is very interesting! From what I have gathered, they are used in Art therapy to help a client to define what they think makes them, "them". They can be vibrant with colors, or elegantly drawn in black and white. There are no limitations to what they can be, or what they contain.

I have loved the intricacy of mandalas since I was a little girl. I remember having felt-art as a young girl and coloring in mandalas with bright colors and hanging them on my bedroom walls. I loved the complexity of them and the beauty that they contained. My plan over the weekend is to create my own mandala and I'll upload it to this post by the end of the weekend. Feel free to create your own mandala and share with me in the comments section or through twitter: @ThePsych_Spot

Here are some Mandalas that have already been created and uploaded for coloring:






Get your Mandala coloring pages here:
http://coloringpedia.com/coloring-10696/


More information about Mandalas and their use in Art Therapy:
http://www.arttherapyblog.com/art-therapy-ideas/healing-with-mandala-art-a-multi-cultural-idea-worth-exploring/#.VXHsBIc-A1h

Hope everyone has a peaceful weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment