Monday, June 8, 2015

The Weekday Woes: Motivation and Productivity Strategies

I doubt that I am the only one who has been getting their rear end kicked by allergies this summer. It's like I just cannot get a day without a sinus headache pounding behind my eyes. Not fun. Also, not a great thing to have happen while being enrolled in full time summer classes for college and working. I tell you what, my day to day lifestyle with work, school, and whatnot keeps me busy, busy, busy. 
Here are some of the things I have tried out to keep myself on top of my never-ending to-do list and putting forth my best effort:

1. Make achievable to-do lists for day to day tasks. 
I keep a to-do list that breaks down my assignments and work schedule on a day-to-day basis. This is just through the notepad app that came on my Macbook. I put an 'x' next to things as I complete them and I also keep an excel spreadsheet with updated grades and homework due dates for each class in chronological order.

 It may sound a little OCD but once I tackle my to-do list for the day I can celebrate by binge watching netflix episodes, or taking a nap, or thinking about making a cleaning to-do list (not likely). I try to do the majority of my homework/task work Monday-Wednesday that way Thursday-Sunday leaves time for working shifts, spending time with Matt, family or friends, and relaxing. I think it is super important to designate time to relax within your week, just so you don't get burnt out. It's also important to make sure that the goals you set for each day are realistic. Bombarding yourself with too many things will only result in you getting overwhelmed. 

2. Get a good breakfast. 
I am a huge fan of oatmeal, granola, or eggs and toast in the morning to start my day. I'm not much of a coffee drinker and so I usually stick to orange juice or water in the morning. I know they always harped on us in grade school how important it is to get a good breakfast in the morning, and finally at the age of 22 I understand what they were trying to get at. I function so much "better" in the morning if I've had breakfast. Less groggy, don't get that starving tummy grumbling at 10:30, so on.


3. Go for a run/walk/jog
Nothing gets your blood pumping quit like exercise. It gives you a boost of endorphins (happy brain chemicals) in the morning, and you get to take a nice well-earned shower afterwards before starting your day. 

4. Avoid technology for the first hour that you are awake
This is something that I recently read on another blog post that I want to start trying out. I can't remember which, since there's so many different ones out there that I read. However, the blogger stated that starting your day off without technology actually motivates you more in the morning since you are not overwhelmed by this information on social media and that information on social media. Talk about information overload too soon after getting (hopefully) a restful nights sleep. 

5. Aromatherapy
If you've ever glanced at the ingredients or noticed the scent of products such as Neutrogena Morning Burst face cleanser, or other citrus scented products...you may have noticed that the smell is rather pleasant (and mood-boosting in my personal opinion). Citrus Aromas have also been associated with stress reduction, mood-boosting, anti-depressant, cognitive performance boosters, etc. 

Some common essential oils and their associations are listed below: 
Grapefruit: curb depression, enhance memory, boost metabolism and reduce food cravings
Lemon balm: improve cognitive performance and mood
Mandarin: reduced stress, improved digestion and lessened nausea

6. Positive Self-Affirmations 
Starting your day on a positive note by complimenting yourself or giving yourself credit for working hard to achieve something isn't just something to get your day motivated. It is something that creates a healthy positive habit and is a great basis for boosting your self esteem. Many times, you are your biggest critic. I am all too familiar with my imperfections and know firsthand that I am, by far, my biggest critic. I try not to let this hinder my day and choose to focus on more of the positive things rather than things I have little to no control over. Self-love is a great way to start your day and a great way to live your life. 
See the video below for some inspiration if needed. :)

Jessica's "Daily Affirmations"



Hopefully you have all had an enjoyable and relaxing weekend. Next weekend I am going home for a "Goddess Retreat" that my best friend's mom is doing. I'm really looking forward to it, and will definitely be making a post next Monday with all the details of it! Wishing you the best week ahead, 





No comments:

Post a Comment